Chancelucky

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Guantanamo

Tom Delay's father stayed in the news for about 1/60th the time Terri Schiavo did. I'm figuring a roughly similar ratio for the recent release of detainee interviews from Gauntanamo. Apparently it's filled with repeated accusations from the detainees that their jailers were desecrating the Koran/Qu'ran in various ways including one claim from 2002 that someone flushed a Qu'ran down a toilet. This doesn't necessarily make the story true, but I wonder how much press this will get compared to the Newsweek retraction story.
My over under is that this new story will last about 2 days.

I am wondering why we keep getting these alternate English spellings for the Moslem holy scriptures. For several centuries we anglicised the name to "Koran". Supposedly Qu'ran is closer to the way it's spoken/written in the Moslem world. I think that means, if we wind up losing this latest version of the Crusades, future generations will be using the spelling that more closely approximates the 21st century American take on the Christian scriptures and calling it the "Buyble" or maybe the "Buyable" or "Bialbowl". Stranger yet, I was in San Francisco the other day and I saw a place offering something called Korean Barbeque, which I take to be yet another alternate spelling for the Qu'ran. It's very sad that Americans find this so amusing that we desecrate the Islamic scriptrues/scriptures while eating kim-chee, bulgogi, and the edible parts of illicit nuclear weapons. At least they don't serve pork at these Korean Barbeque places. Talk about your ultimate eclectic California cuisine take on Seoul Food.

Having tried to read both books, it becomes readily apparent that they're a surprisingly similar take on some shared stories. In various forms, Moses, Abraham, and even Jesus appear in both books and if you were a Martian who learned to read the things you would be quite taken with the fact that both books are primarily about one thing "there's just one God, that's me, and you better believe in me or else."

You might even argue that desecrating one is in some way a desecration of the tradition of the other. They say they have these orientations now for personnel working with the detainees there. What are the odds that it includes mention that the Dome of the Rock and the Wall of the Temple stand next to one another?

It's kind of like competing news organizations with a common source and a completely different message some six hundred years apart. As we head into the circle of Mayan time here, I'm wondering if there might be some sort of retraction. I mean, what if God refuses to confirm either story?

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 5/27/2005 12:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Organized Religion had been a virulent mind-parasite for aeons. Like rabies, it is invisible until they start frothing at the mouth.

 
At 5/27/2005 08:07:00 AM, Blogger Chancelucky said...

Flan,
thanks for being the first person to comment. It's nice to know that someone else actually reads the site. I ugess I won't be seeing you in church this weekend. fwiw I've never seen a rabbi frothing except maybe Meyer Kahane.

 
At 5/28/2005 06:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Boris,

I check this several times a week to make sure I'm not missing the latest! I sometimes have to use the power of the internet to get your literature references, but the education is more than worth the time spent! I hope all is well in Empireland - I do miss it sometimes.
Hertel

 
At 5/29/2005 11:30:00 PM, Blogger Chancelucky said...

Hertel,
Great to hear from you. It made my day. Hope to see you back at the tournaments some time before I retire as a volleyparent.

 
At 6/07/2005 04:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chancelucky, Hertel,
The astonishing (in root, 'astonishing' means 'to strike with thunder')thing about the Wild Wide Web is how fabulous and velvety it is to find out about -- word derivations, say. We are all getting an education in an immediate and intimate way.

Lucky for me my tastes run to erstwhile poets, all of whom can be found eventually. My immense frustration is that someone like Borges has only snippets available. We have to figure out this still-living or recently dead copyright stuff so all is fair & yet we can still get the material in a sleek way. http://pogblog.myblogsite.com

 
At 6/23/2005 12:26:00 PM, Blogger Chancelucky said...

Mr. Pogblog,
thanks for the etymology lesson.
It occurs to me that I was wrong about how long the actual Gitmo abuse story lasted in the press. It's hung on for a while.

There have to be some lessons here in how to manage the news cycle, because for once, the pro-constitution side did a good job of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home