Chancelucky

Monday, January 01, 2007

Chancelucky and the Really New Year


I was responding to comments on this blog just before the New Year last night when the oddest thing happened. Each time I started trying to click on a new page or submit a comment, my computer started telling me that I had a “security problem.”
It insisted that the security rights for my page had expired in 2008. Talk about time flying as you get older!

I checked the date on my computer which told me that it was now 9:36 PM New Year’s Eve 2150. I figured this was good news. George W. Bush had been out of office for more than a hundred and forty years, assuming the two term rule still applied in 2008, and the world still had computers, electricity, and the internet. He hadn't killed us all after all. In fact, my study with its six sets of homebuilt speakers, three amplifiers, and hundreds of LPs that I no longer listen to, looked remarkably good for being a hundred and seventy years old. There were a few cobwebs here and there, but that was true back in 2006.

Was this the Y2k bug showing up seven years too late? On a national and international level, I do think skipping the seven years since the Supreme Court decided that equal protection applied to uncounted ballots instead of actual voters wouldn’t be the worst idea. Even in sports, I wouldn’t have missed any significant events in Warriors, 49er, or Stanford sports history. It also would have erased the whole 6th game of the world series with the Angels where the Giants had the wrong Rodriguez pitching in relief for them.
All in all, if I was going to be thrust forward a hundred and fifty years I would have much preferred having it happen to me when Y2k was the biggest worry in the news.

Having briefly contemplated the possibility that I had somehow slipped on a banana peel in the time space continuum, it did occur to me that there was simply something wrong with my computer. I clicked on the little icon with the time in the lower right corner of my display and all those security certificate warnings went away and my screen went back to normal. Now, I’m sitting here wondering if I did the right thing. I guess I could just change it back to New Year’s Eve 2150 again or any date I wanted for that matter. What would happen for instance if I changed the date on my computer to some time before they existed like 1832? Could you have the Windows operating system before anyone had thought of windows for instance? What if I set the date to 1906 and then went to the yahoo home page to see what the news was that day?

I guess that’s my problem. When it was 2150 and I skipped 143 years, I wasn’t the sort of person who had the guts to get up from my seat in front of the screen, walk a few steps, open the door to my study or even one of the windows to take a look around before I simply clicked myself back to a continuous-sequential 2007. I promise myself that next time something like this happens to me, I’ll at least explore a bit. All that time on Internet Explorer and it turns out that I’m the sort who prefers to stay at home.

It does occur to me that Bill Gates’s operating system is bound by time, but maybe God’s (or whatever universe builder you have in mind) real operating system doesn’t take time quite as literally as we do. Or maybe time itself works differently than we’ve been trained to think. Why the heck was I so scared by a warning on my computer screen that told me that my security certificate wasn’t in order because it expired back in 2008, 142 years ago?

In any case, Happy New Year to anyone reading this, whatever year it happens to be for you.




Labels:

10 Comments:

At 1/01/2007 05:30:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

I can't believe all the time I wasted reading about your time issues. Okay, that was weak. The post was funny and I would have been afraid, very...

 
At 1/02/2007 09:09:00 AM, Blogger Chancelucky said...

Dale,
it's strange how following other people's blogs influences what you write. Atul's blog had an item on "What was your best year?"

Being me and having a computer that likes to play jokes on me, everyone else went backwards and I guess I jumped forwards.

 
At 1/03/2007 12:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ye olde time discontinuum banana-peel will getcha every time.

Hoppy New Year to you & all your delightful readers too, as a frog might say.

I wish you'd at least wikied the Iraq War from 2150 & seen how long it took us to get out of the quagsand. Gosh, CL, next time, look around before you get slurped back into the apparent present! Wiki coulda told you if Darth Dick had a surge in his pacemaker? Did Karl come out of the pumpkin-painted closet? Think of all the important trivia you could have unearthed.

 
At 1/03/2007 09:36:00 AM, Blogger Chancelucky said...

So many things I wish I'd done while I was almost two hundred years old....

Interesting thought....you have a google connection 100 years in the future and have time to google 10 things, what would they be?

 
At 1/03/2007 07:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to cogitate on that. It's like those 3 Wishes. One doesn't want to blurt out a careless answer.

It's a complexly excellent question.

 
At 1/04/2007 12:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll contribute my little nerd factoid here. The time/date representation on linux machines is only valid from 1970 to 2038. In 2038 the 32-bit values will rollever to zero and it will become 1970 again!

 
At 1/04/2007 06:13:00 AM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

I wonder if they still make George W. Bush buttplugs in 2150 ... and who would use them?

 
At 1/04/2007 09:49:00 AM, Blogger Chancelucky said...

PFS.
That's interesting about Linux, but why 2038...Is there something special about bit values for that particular date?

Malnurtured Snay,
Isn't there such a picture already? At least rumors of it were mentioned in Kitty Kelly's book "the Family".
Would make for a really odd 3 wishes story?
1) end suffering in the world
2) find me true love
3) Get me that picture of George W. Bush

 
At 1/05/2007 04:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's weird what happened and the whole 2038 thing. And we though Y2K was going to be the end.

 
At 1/06/2007 12:53:00 PM, Blogger Chancelucky said...

I honestly still don't know why my computer calendar went crazy right before it turned 2007.

The Linux thing is kind of interesting post y2k....Not sure I understand it. Guess it's yet another thing for me to look up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home