Chancelucky

Saturday, February 09, 2008

No American Idol Review this week


Yes, I skipped American Idol for a week. I did watch the Atlanta tryouts, but totally missed the “Best of the Rest” on Wednesday. Remarkably, it had no impact on my life other than the drop in my hit count. Atlanta had a bunch of people with back stories. Okay, maybe it’s just me, but frankly I don’t care if your father just died or that you live in your car, I’d rather you sing better than that. No, I’m not saying most of the on to Hollywood types weren’t good. Most of them were. Their music just wasn’t memorable.
You know that bit with the glass cutter where Simon made him turn around to sing? The guy still didn’t actually sing very well. In any case on Wednesday, I took Simon’s advice. I turned my back to the show for a week.

I’ll probably be back next week, but I guess that pretty much says it all for where the show stand right now. That and I haven’t heard it come up at the water cooler or the equivalent a single time this year. Think of it as American Eyeball.

Check out Beckeye's reviews from this week and others.

Sirlinksalot American Idol stories

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 2/11/2008 05:43:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

You're doing more of a service in not having written much about it I think. I'm not sure why I wasn't able to look away but I'll just try and move on with my life (and to the next round).

There have been some pretty rough singers put through but I guess it'll make for the judge's fun in cutting them next week.

 
At 2/11/2008 08:30:00 AM, Blogger Chancelucky said...

I think they did cut the total number hours of audition footage this year. They also do seem to let in a certain number of mediocre singers and occasionlly turn away good ones. My issue is more that I can't remember anyone being really intriguing.

 
At 2/13/2008 07:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do people live on while they're vying for AI? Do they have to pay their own way for all these months or is the whole thing really already over & they're just showing the footage?

I'm trying to figure out why there aren't more good singers to be had?

 
At 2/14/2008 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Chancelucky said...

The show pays for the contestant's expenses....beyond that I don't know.

I think they're technically game show contestants so they don't get SAG scale. It's actually not right, because they really are just "actors" in most every sense.

One reason reality shows are big is that they can't get "held up" by the talent if the show does well. If you remember, once a sitcom or drama becomes a hit, the leads start asking for big money.

 
At 2/14/2008 10:47:00 AM, Blogger BeckEye said...

Thanks for the plug!

You're a better man for not having watched it all. I'm so disgusted with myself because I can't kick my addiction. They say you can't help someone until they want to be helped...and so far, I admit, I don't want to be helped. :)

 
At 2/14/2008 12:03:00 PM, Blogger Chancelucky said...

Beckeye,

Well, I have fun reading your takes on the show. I'm not totally writing this season off, it's just that I've seen some signs of shark jumpdom.

The single biggest thing would be if they really do find one or two people who have the charisma of say Marvin Gaye or Diana Ross. That hasn't ever happened on the show, but if it did it would fix stuff in a hurry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home