Chancelucky

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Rafalca


Was Caligula the Roman Emperor who appointed his horse consul? I'm not saying that anything similar will happen for the Romney family's horse-tax deduction source, Rafalca who recently competed in the Olympics in dressage (btw Rafalca finished 28th, if only his owner will do the same in November). It did get me interested in Ann Romney and, thanks to Wikipedia, I learned that she converted to Mormonism for Mitt which meant that her family weren't members of the church.

 At first, I was shocked to learn that her own parents didn't get to go to the wedding, because only Mormons can attend weddings in a Mormon temple (not to be confused with the meeting house where they attend services on Sunday). I then learned that the Romneys had a civil ceremony at Ann's parents' home first that was attended by the members of her family. They then flew to Salt Lake City for a Mormon service in the temple there. Ann's family attended a reception breakfast in Salt Lake City the next morning. After that various members of Ann Romney's family did convert to Mormonism.

It suggests strongly that the couple understands the difference between a civil marriage and a religious wedding ceremony well. It's little wonder that Mitt once appeared to support civil marriage for gay couples. I'm curious why someone who so thoughtfully made this distinction in his own life, suddenly changed his mind.

 I did have the chance to interview Mitt's little known younger brother, Flop, about this and he explained that Mormon marriages don't have an until death do you part clause. A Mormon family stays a family after everyone dies, something that I have to say is quite touching. Through my connections as a writer for the vast right wing conspiracy (VRWC), I had the good fortune to interview Flop Romney, Rafalca, and Seamus (the family's deceased Irish Setter who's currently living in heaven in the Romney house in the after-life complete with an elevator for Seamus's station wagon). Apparently, they were impressed with the fact that I'd gotten access to Meth Palin's secret diary and its entry about the magic clothes (as opposed to special underwear) four years ago. I'll be posting excerpts from that interview soon. Seamus had just come in from another Romney family vacation and had a little accident all over my notes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home